Gary Kopchak, ActingDirector
information, go to the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District’s web site
We are located at 19065 Holland Road
Our hours are 7:30am - 4:30pm
Contact us at
Service Department Holidays include:
New Year's Day
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
If a holiday falls on your scheduled rubbish or yard waste pick-up day, the
rubbish or yard waste will be picked up the first work day after the
holiday. If you have any questions, please contact the Service Department.
AUTOMATED RUBBISH INFORMATION
The following is important information pertaining to the new Automated Rubbish collection. If you have any questions or concerns, please call 216-433-7189.
* Place your Smart Cart on the curb with the handle facing your house. The Smart Cart arrows must point toward the street.
* Smart Carts should be placed on the curb at least 3 feet apart from each other.
*If your Smart Cart is not full during a severe weather event consider waiting until the event clears and placing your Smart Cart out on your next scheduled collection day.
* Rubbish will be picked up Tuesday – Friday and on Saturday during certain holiday weeks. The new system allows us to service all residential routes in 4 days instead of 5 days.
* During Holiday weeks, look for RED signs announcing rubbish will be picked up 1 day later than your normal day. These signs will be located on main and secondary streets in affected routes.
* To schedule a pick up of Bulk Items you must call 216-433-7189 and leave your name, address and phone number. A City representative will contact you with available pick up dates and times. Place your pick up items out no earlier than 5:00 p.m. the day before the scheduled pick up.
* You may drop off your rubbish as the Service Garage, 19065 Holland Road, Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Proof of residency may be required.
DO pre-schedule a special pick up order for bulk items.
DO bag, tie and secure rubbish inside black Smart Cart.
DO close the lid to each Smart Cart.
DO remove emptied Carts from City right-of-way by 6:00 p.m. on your collection day.
DO NOT place trash, yard waste or black bags in blue recycling Smart Carts.
DO NOT place loose or bagged trash outside your Smart Carts. It Will Not Be Collected!
We ask for your patience with the start-up of this new program. Refer to the City’s website and information packet attached to your new City Smart Cart.
The City has implemented a change in our Recycling Program. The new program
will allow the City to receive recycling fees back
from the county co-op program. All recycling items will be picked up the
next work day after your rubbish pick-up day. Yard waste and metal/appliance
items will be picked up every week. Please contact the Service
Department when you have metal/appliance items for pick-up. Mixed paper and blue bag items will
alternate weeks. The new Recycling Program consists of three (3) groups of
recyclable items: mixed
paper, blue bag items and metals/appliances.
• Yard waste – grass clippings and leaves will be put in brown yard waste
bags, plastic bags or metal or plastic rubbish cans. Branches or hedge trimmings must
be placed in legal refuse containers. Excess dirt must be removed from
roots. Yard waste can be placed in plastic bags
and will be picked up with rubbish.
• Mixed Paper – includes newspapers, magazines, cardboard, junk mail, box
board, office paper and phone books. Items can be bundled with twine or
string or placed in legal refuse containers. Mixed Paper
items can not be placed in plastic bags.
• Blue Bag Items – please rinse all items and remove lids and caps.
Cans include all metal food and beverage cans. Glass includes bottles and
jars in brown, clear and green colors. We do not accept drinking
glasses, window panes, mirrors or light bulbs. Plastic is all items which
are coded with the recycling symbol with a 1 or 2 inside the symbol.
Metal/Appliances includes washer, dryers, refrigerators (remove doors),
swing sets (must be broken down and concrete removed from poles),
incinerators and water tanks. All items will be picked up with a separate
Containers or bundles are not to exceed 50#. Recycling items will be picked
up the next work day after your rubbish pick-up.
We appreciate our residents continued effort to recycle and if you have any
questions regarding our new program, please contact the Service
Department at 216-433-7192.
In order to maintain efficient recycling collection in the City of Brook
Park, the following rules apply:
• Grass clippings and leaves need to be put in brown yard waste bags, metal
or plastic rubbish cans, or plastic bags.
• Branches or hedge trimmings must be placed in legal refuse containers
• Excessive amounts of dirt must be removed from roots.
• Excessive amounts of sod from lawns will not be picked up.
• Containers or bundles can not exceed 50#.
• Mixed Paper items include newspapers, magazines, cardboard, junk mail, box
board, office paper and phone books.
• Cardboard, corrugated cardboard or cartons must be broken down and bundled
and tied not to exceed 3 ft. in length and 1 ft. in diameter.
• If newspapers and magazines are bundled, they must be tied securely.
• Mixed Paper items can not be placed in plastic bags.
• Mixed Paper items can be bundled with twine or string only.
• Blue Bag items must be rinsed and lids and caps removed.
• All metal food and beverage cans will be accepted.
• Bottles and jars in brown, clear and green colors will be accepted.
• Plastic items which are coded with the recycling symbol with a Code 1 or 2 only
inside the symbol will be accepted.
• Metal/Appliances pick-up includes washers, dryers and refrigerators with
• Swing sets must be broken down and concrete removed from poles.
• Concrete must be removed from metal fence post.
WASTE ROUND UP
Residents can bring household pesticides, cleaners and paints (excluding
latex paint) to the Service Garage Monday thru Friday between 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Propane tanks, tires with rims removed and rechargeable batteries
can also be dropped off at the Garage. Used car batteries and old motor oil
may also be taken to Auto Zone, Murray’s Discount Auto, National Tire and
Battery, and Lube Stop.
Disposing of loose needles
and syringes into the household waste poses a risk to family members and
solid waste workers who must handle the waste. While Ohio law allows the
disposal of sharps used by an individual for purposes of his/her own care or
treatment in their home into the solid waste stream, it is important to
recognize the hazard they pose to solid waste workers. Solid waste workers
handle waste containers without knowledge of the contents. It is recommended
that home-generated sharps be packaged into a rigid container and marked
with the wording sharps prior to disposal into the solid waste stream.
Common household containers which meet the description of rigid are: liquid
detergent & bleach bottles, 2 liter pop bottles, and coffee cans if the lid
is securely taped to the can. In addition, the person may contact their
local health department or hospital to inquire if they would accept the home
We cannot accept Latex Paint. The paint must be dried up before you dispose
of the cans.
Use kitty litter or a commercial paint dry up product to dry up all latex
paint. At the time of disposal put the cans in your regular trash leaving
the lids off.
To solidify latex paint:
Allow the paint to dry by removing the lid and allowing liquids to
evaporate. This works for small quantities of paint (an inch or two in the
bottom of the can), and can take several days. Latex paint can also be
solidified by mixing in an equal amount of an absorbent material and allowed
to dry. Use cat litter, sawdust, Plaster of Paris, oil dry, or vermiculite.
Pour thin layers (about 1" of paint) into a cardboard box lined with
plastic. Allow paint to dry one layer at a
time until all paint has hardened. When thoroughly dry, the remaining
hardened paint should be discarded with your regular trash. Leave the lid
off the can so the waste collector can see the paint is hardened.
REFUSE & YARD
In order to maintain efficient refuse collection in the City of Brook Park,
the following rules should apply:
• Garbage and dog leavings will be wrapped and sealed to prevent odor from
escaping and then placed in refuse containers.
• Containers are to be placed at the curb, not the sidewalk, on the day of
the rubbish collection, but not prior to 5:00 p.m. the day before your
regular pick-up day.
• Containers should be of galvanized iron or non-rusting materials of
substantial construction with handles and tight fitting lids, water tight of
such size as to be easily handled by one man and not in any case to have a
weight exceed 50# or size capacity to exceed 35 gallons when filled. Paper
containers will not be acceptable. Any color plastic bags may be used but
must be durable enough as not to break when handling rubbish only.
• The City will not be responsible for interior household rubbish containers
left on curbside to be emptied as they are not as strong construction and
are light weight and can be easily blown into the street.
• Construction materials, remodeling materials, concrete walks, driveway
material and bricks will not be picked up. Excessive amounts of sod from
lawns will not be picked up. Contractors scrap materials will not be picked
• All items placed on the tree lawn must emanate from the premises.
• Any refuse containers no longer wanted must be marked or called to the
• All concrete stationary tubs must be broken up when put on the tree lawn.
• Tires and batteries will no longer be picked up curbside.
All residents are requested to assist the City in refuse pick-up and
disposal service by replacing incorrect and damaged or severely rusted
containers with new ones.
REMOVAL/STREET PARKING BAN
Snow Removal for seniors will begin after our first 2 inches of snowfall. We
receive our weather information from the weather station and use this as our
guide for plowing driveways. To help us maintain fast service, please keep
your driveways free of vehicles and keep fences open. We ask that you please
be patient as we are plowing over 1200 driveways.
Snow Removal on our streets will continue to be prompt and efficient,
plowing our main streets first and then the neighborhoods. Remember to keep
all vehicles off the streets when the snow exceeds 2 inches and a Parking
Ban comes into effect.
Just a reminder that when snow exceeds two inches, there is no parking on
city streets until streets are cleared.
If you do not receive an application and feel you qualify for the senior
citizen or physically disabled snow removal program, please call (216)
Water Breaks that occur on our city streets, tree lawns, fire hydrants, etc.
are the responsibility of the Cleveland Water Department- Division of Water.
As a water break occurs and is called in to our Service Department, it is
dispatched to the City of Cleveland Water Department's Repair Crew. Upon the
City of Cleveland finishing its repairs, it is possible in some cases to
take as long as 4 to 6 weeks before Cleveland gives us final permission to
complete our permanent repairs to that area. Please be patient and we are
sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. Also, if you discover any brown
water during these repairs, as a homeowner it is best to run your cold water
in the lowest part of your home, basement, etc. until the water clears. If
you have any questions, please contact the City of Brook Park Service
Department, Monday thru Friday 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.